Musings of an unexpected fashion lover

June 29, 2016


6.29.16 // In retrospect, I think the passion and love that I hold for fashion is rather unexpected. I was never one to care much about what I wore, and I was never one who prioritised style over any other element. To be completely honest, my mom had decided what I wore for an embarrassingly long time. It probably wasn't until my freshmen year of high-school, did I find myself curiouser and curiouser as I dove deeper into the rabbit hole of the wonderful world that is fashion. 

And I catch myself asking, "Why? Why fashion?" But there's never one solid reason. There is always something new to love that drives and motivates me. Perhaps, what may come closest to describe my favourite thing about fashion is with the help of the ever-so-wonderful Alexa Chung, who once said in a documentary done with British Vogue that, "It's emotional for everyone. It's about identity. It's about how you feel. It's about creating a persona." And those few words in itself struck a chord. 

For as long as I can remember, I had a hard time dealing with my identity. So much so that, my entire childhood was devoted into being someone that would be most suitable to others, rather than myself. And even then, I hadn't noticed that once subconscious fact until a few years ago; the mask that I had wrongfully declared "me" was plastered on so tightly that it felt like skin to me. But it wasn't. And lo and behold, look! An identity crisis. Just in time for Christmas! That's great. Thus, the insinuation of a a few rather nerve-racking years in which I questioned and second-guessed every action and every decision that I made; is this me or is this simply to please others? 


It's almost your typical story. And it probably is. And you've probably seen situations similar to this shared numerous times. That only proves to show the urgency of these issues, issues where girls are smothered by expectations and media standards to please the general crowd. But, the most important person you need to please is yourself. And I am a firm believer in how confidence in yourself, and in your sense of self (positive, of course) is the most attractive trait that anyone can possess. That in itself, is enough to charm the socks off any crowd. 

That's why my sense of self is so important to me. To me, it was the one that got away... but not quite. And it's never felt more refreshing and relieving to know that. Of course, my style and personality is bound to change and evolve as I change and evolve. But it amazes me most, every time, how one person can create an image and representation of themselves through an article of clothing. How they embody soul & spirit into physical objects to create a collection that is ever-fitting, classic and never out of place. The way we can seamlessly reflect ourselves, in a way so efficiently and so beautifully is breath-taking. Through fashion the art of self-expression is limitless. There is always a way and a dress or a pair of shoes to match what you're feeling and who you are. At the same time, it constructs a strong foundation for an impeccable sense of self & character. It is always there to give a voice for someone who can't quite speak, and a meaning behind the thought someone hasn't quite found the right words for just yet.
-A 

You Might Also Like

0 comments